Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Alcohol

Does it say anything in the bible about alcohol? Does it say anything such as we can drink alcohol but not do get drunk?

This has been preached from pulpits from the beginning of organized religion. Most of the time its taught as a type of personal sin. I have even heard it preached that you could lose your salvation because of drinking (which I do not believe), is a scare tactic that keeps the preachers from having to drag the congregation out of bars.

If you look through the bible you can see that there are verses that show that its OK to drink, and others where it shows that it is not. Both as Christians we should live by a set of standards that should effect the way that we live and present ourselves.

We are told in the bible to avoid drunkeness.

Eph 5:18
    And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Proverbs 23:29-35
    Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

The effects that alcohol have upon us are varied, many people get mean and angry. I have met some that get silly and comical, others that are friendly and loving, many too loving to the point of being perverted in thoughts and actions. We are warned against allowing ourselves to be under the control and being mastered by anything other than the Holy Spirit. Alcohol can be very addictive and alters your mind and the functions of the body. As with anything that is addictive you become a slave to the effects, this just doesn't mean alcohol but other things as well; drugs, food, and others. We cannot be in control of our "senses" when we allow anything to gain control over us and alter the way we think or act. And even though it won't cause you to lose your salvation, it can become a barrier in your relationship with God. No man can serve two masters, and we must choose which we will follow.

1 Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

2 Peter 2:19
While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

Bondage is a powerful tool that the enemy uses to keep you down and from growing as a Christian. It not only can effect you but others around you. It can destroy your testimony, to other Christians and worse, to unbelievers. What you do as a Christian can effect others around you and can be a stumbling block or a reason for excessive liberty which in a younger believer, can lead to living in sin.

1 Corinthians 8:9-13
But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

1 Corinthians 10:31-33
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Romans 14:21
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

It would be a terrible thing to have to answer to God because we allowed our liberty to cause a younger brother to fall into sin. Or that another was offended that we allowed ourselves liberty in something that he found offensive. Even though there is a certain liberty that we have, it is clear that that liberty cannot be invoked when it effects others. As Christians we must always be aware that we are being watched by others, believers and unbelievers, as to our walk with Christ. We are to be mentors of younger Christians, students of mature Christians and an example of Christ to unbelievers. Because of these things we are to allow the Holy Spirit to guide us in everything that we do, and do all things so that God is glorified and is exalted.

Also I have seen Christians drink and are strong in faith, why is that do you think? I know you cant speak for them but I was wondering why that might be, any ideas?

Many because they are immature and many could be because they do not understand the scriptures. I have seen many weaker Christians drink and many that seem to be mature that drink. Many people try to interpret the scriptures to justify things in their own lives, to show God's approval or at least acceptance for what they do. As I said before we can cause immature Christians to drink when they observe, who they perceive as, a mature Christian drinking. It is sin on both parts according to scripture. A mature Christian can drink and feel that he is at liberty to do so because of a freedom they feel through Christ and an assurance of their salvation. According to the bible this is also wrong. Even though we are told in many places that it is allowed, such in 1 Timothy 5. In the NT, there are reasons to drink wine and they are not for personal enjoyment. I have witnessed personally to others that I knew were out of church and I knew did drink alcohol, many were assured of their salvation. Some knew that they were out of fellowship with God because of the drinking, but they knew that they were saved. I would not be afraid to say that many were more assured of their salvation than many that sit in the pews of my church. Some of them never got over the addiction of alcohol and some turned back to it.

2 Peter 2:22
But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Some had become upset for one reason or another and left their churches and turned again to the world for some type of relief that would bring them from reality. Being ignorant of the scriptures and turning to the world instead of God, knowing that it didn't please God. Many know the scriptures and have been in church most of their lives but still choose the world over God.

Can I speak for them? no, because I haven't been there. But I can see how easy it can be to get there, and justify it through scripture. Although it would be justified only to myself. Before I accepted Christ I drank, not a lot but I drank. I didn't like beer or whiskey and I hated the taste of wine. My choice of drink was Tequila and Vodka, and even though its been awhile since I drank either, I still remember what they taste like. And it could be real easy to start drinking again, and feel I could retain my faith. And I know I could put on a show of spirituality and apply a mask to fool others, and live in a world of deceit. And that’s being honest. But I know that it would not please God and that it would not glorify Him, so I have to refrain from falling to the temptation of it, although that temptation has been there before.

As Christians we need to stay away from alcohol for many reasons, as stated above in the scripture. As we need to stay away from many things that are not beneficial too us. We must also remember that even though we have liberty we don't always need to exercise it, because it could have serious repercussions. Anything that can alter the mind and lead our focus away from Jesus and his work is not beneficial in our walk as Christians. Paul said he was a bond slave to Christ which meant that he was not in control, but his life was controlled by Christ through the Holy Spirit. Paul died to the flesh daily, anything that wasn't centered on Jesus didn't matter. I pray that we could all be like minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment