Sunday, April 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

What does the Bible have to say about the topic and importance of giving thanks?

I could sit here and copy and paste most of Psalms and half of the NT. But I will add just a few verses, knowing that I could add to them indefinetly.

Philippians 4:4-8
Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Ephesians 5:18-20  
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Paul wrote in many of his letters that we should give thanks, he gave thanks for the people, his situations and that God had chosen him to be His messenger. He also exalted Christ and gave thanks that He died for the sins of the world. But we sometimes overlook giving thanks for the things that afflict us. Paul writing above to give thanks in all things in Ephesians also wrote in 2 Corinthians that he would rather glory in his infirmities. He took pleasure in the beatings and the confrontations and even in the infirmities that he could know the power of Christ Jesus even more.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

And also in Romans 5, that we glory in tribulations. Who would have a better reason to walk away from a ministry than Paul. But he rejoiced even in the tribulations that were brought upon him, always looking to where it was for the betterment of the Gospel and would always bring glory to God.

Romans 5:1-5
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Many people ask for Gods will to be made known to them. They search the scriptures and pray that God show them what He would have them to do. Many ask that for personal guidence and I have heard many say that they don't know what God has for them to do. Two of the basic things that we as Christians can do is to give thanks and pray. For everyone that reads the verse below it should be apparent that we are to give thanks, and it should be incorporated into our lives. Not just because we feel greatful at times or when it seems that things are going out way. But we are to give thanks because that is Gods will for our lives.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

As a Christian, giving thanks to God should come naturally for us. God has given more for us than we would ever give for others. No matter who you are or how many, I know I could not give my son for anyone, I'm sorry but I couldn't. God has extended blessings to each one of us that we should be able to write volumes that would rival the Psalms. Could you just imagine what David could pen if he was alive now. I only have to read the Gospels and the letters of Paul to see why we should be thankful. Knowing that Jesus loved me enough to suffer as He did so that I could have fellowship with the Father. To know the peace within through the Holy Spirit, and to know of the hope that I have received, not because of me but because of the work of someone else. What do we not have to be thankful for.

I am thankful for; My God and Savior Jesus Christ, My family, my church family (not just in the congregation I belong to, but everywhere), that God has given me a chance at life again so I can serve Him, All the good things and even all the bad things. I know that all things will work together for good in my life, so even what I see as the bad things are there for a purpose, and they will turn to bring glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment